Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Importing Chinese into America?

I was talking to my girlfriend today and I told her how I've came across several blogs recently.  All of these blogs were of written by white women who are dating or married to Asian.  My girlfriend has always had a theory that since America has slightly more girls and China has a huge over abundance of boys, the two contries should trade their populations so both would be benefited.  For a long time I've laughed at that idea thinking it was just silly given the immigration hurdles there are.  Well, after this week's discovery I finally admitted that she's right.  Her response?  "TOLD YOU!"  I guess I am not in a relationship that's as rare as I thought it was.  But hey, it's still unique!  I guess I have underestimated the power of love between people.  It's strong enough that they can overlook the hurdles of immigration and move forward.  Well, to all of you brave souls, best of luck!  As an immigrant once, I know how tough the road can be.  But the sun only gets brighter tomorrow.  =]

4 comments:

  1. I also was surprised at how many blogs there are written by white girls with an Asian husband or boyfriend, I remember in 2007 when I had my first chinese boyfriend i googled it and I couldn't find anything about it and now its becoming much more common.

    However there may be a fair few blogs about it online. But I have only met one Chinese man in person who had an Irish wife and kids. So I think it is still rather special. But becoming more common is a good thing I think, the world is getting smaller, people are opening there minds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is still the minority. But I have definitely been noticing couples like that more in America. Well, just my city really. Then again, I live in the South so it speaks volume in a way. Or, it could be that I am more aware of things than before. How are thing sin Ireland? Are the ethnic groups and races there still pretty divided when it comes to dating and marriage? I think it's less so here among the younger generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems this is happening a lot between Russia and China.

    Check out this article: http://www.slate.com/id/2239793/entry/2239797

    One feature of the Russian-Chinese relationship seemed especially telling: Cross-border marriages are overwhelmingly between Chinese men and Russian women.

    Much of this has to do with demographics—Russia has a surplus of women, while China has too many men. But as one Russian woman told me, "Chinese men are kinder and more attentive to their wives. And they usually have more money."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, I've heard about that before but didn't know if that's true. Glad the supply and demand are getting to an equilibrium. World Peace!

    ReplyDelete