Sunday, March 6, 2011

A day's adventure with my girlfriend

Today, my girlfriend decided she needs to make a Chinese dish called braised short ribs.  So we went to the local farmer's market, which is suppose to be the "world market" to get all the ingredients.  We got the meat, the daikon, the cilantro, the onions, etc.  But we didn't find two of the spices.  There was a little Asian store next to the mega farmer's market.  My girlfriend decided we should try our luck there instead of the farmer's market.  After all, it's not so worldly if it doesn't have CHINESE ingredients (come on, if 1.3+ billion folks use it,  you better have it).  So we walked into this store and the moment we walked it I knew we will have a hard time.  Why?  Because there is no labels on the aisles and it's arranged like any other Asian family stores:  only the owner knows where anything is.  So after 10 minutes into the search and without results, I was getting frustrated.  Even though my girlfriend was dressed in an Asian outfit, no one bothered to come to her assistance.  And as for me, since I am Asian everyone must have assumed that I knew what I was doing.  Then,  I started to hear someone speaking in Mandarin.  I was surprised because most of the clerks spoke Vietnamese.  For a while I was pretty sure I was daydreaming as a result of looking at too many invoices over the week and breathing in tires all day.  Then that person spoke again!  I was like, HELL YEAH!  Naturally, I had my ears up searching for that person.  She kept on speaking one or two words in Chinese and I finally located her.  She's an elderly lady who works at there and I asked her in Chinese if she knew where the spices were.  To our good fortune (which we seldom have with fortune cookies), she knew where everything was!  We walked out of the store feeling happy.  On the way out, my girlfriend spotted a pimping Asian guy.  She told me to guess what kind of car he drives.  He was walking toward two cars that were parked together, one was a Corrolla and one was an Accura.  Which one do you think he drove?

Oh, and we ran into two AMWF couples at the farmer's market.  It's exciting!  We didn't know what to do.   To look or not to look?  That was the question.

Unrelated Bonus for loyal readers:

Girlfriend:"You are so mean to me!  That's not in the Chinese boyfriend manual!"
Me:"Where did you buy it from?  Hong Kong?  It's probably a counterfeit."

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment